A History of the Park:
Holywells park has a long history going back
thousands of years, tools from the stone age have been found on the site
and Bronze Age axes and Roman coins have been found nearby.
Early written records indicate that the land at
Holywells was part of the Manor at Bishops Wyke which was held by the
Bishops of Norwich in the 13th century. During Henry VIII
reign the Manor was returned to the crown and then granted to Sir John
Jermy, and then passed hands many times before John Cobold secured the
title in 1812. The Cobold family had been using the land since1689 to
make beer; they used the water from the natural springs and shipped it
to Harwich where their brewery was located.
In 1935 the land at Holywells was presented to the
people of Ipswich by Lord Woodbridge and then opened to the public in
1936, much of the manor is now lost with only the stable block